Monday, April 4, 2011

Teen representation on TV (FAMILY GUY)




1. The personality traits I have are: organized, funny, confident, enthusiastic, problem-solver, and adventurous. The two characters in the Family Guy, Maggie and Chris, have some similar and some different traits compare to mine. Both Maggie and Chris are funny and adventurous just like me, however, they are trouble-makers, and not so bright. 


2. My parents are very respectful, confident, cheerful, energetic, funny, and wise. However, in the Family Guy, Peter and Luise are not that respected, and sometimes act foolish. The only common my parents and Family Guy parents have in common, are that they are both funny and energetic. My older brother, Kenny, is very courageous and funny. He also demonstrates the trait of trustworthiness. In the TV show, Family Guy, siblings demonstrate the funny and foolishness by how they act and speak. Although most of times siblings in the Family Guy are funny and dumb, but sometimes they show great bond and trust in one another just like me and my brother.


3. My school is very well-organized and very enjoyable. However on Family Guy, school is demonstrated as unorganized place where there is no rule, no fun, and scary. The main difference between my school and Family Guy school is that YMCI is more energetic.


4. The Family Guy shows some good and bad friendship. The Family Guy shows friends who back-stab one another, betrayal, jealousness and many more bad friendships. However, compare to friendship that I have, this is totally different. Me and my friends have great times together, and we always back-up each other. We do sometimes quarrel, but we always apologize to each other and our friendship becomes more and more stronger.


5. The issues that I face and the issues that Family Guy teen faces are totally different. I have many and big issues in school, at work and within friends, and it affects me mentally a lot. However in the Family Guy, teens face issues that are such a small matter, that it makes me laugh when I watch it. They face issues at random stuffs, such as getting a toy that he or she really wants. My issues are usually solved by talking to someone I trust the most, because it help me understand that someone else knows my issues and helps me get over it. On the other hand, in the Family Guy, teens solve their issues by events that are very unrealistic to happen.


6. The major differences between my life and the life of TV teen are that there is not many stereotypical characters in my life and resolutions to the issues and problems I face are realistic, nothing like in the TV life. Also the characteristics of adults are totally different. In my life, all adults are wise and full of knowledge and experience, but in TV life, adults show and act less intelligent stuff.


7. TV teen portray many stereotypes such as nerd, jock, freak and many more. It is hardly believable in real life.


8. If I could live the life of TV teen, I would not live it, because I don't want to live in a place where everything is very unrealistic, and easy to live. I love challenges in my life, and most importantly, I love my life right now. Therefore, I would not exchange my life with the life of TV teen.

2 comments:

  1. The Family Guy is a great show, but you're right that it's not very realistic. Most of the problems that the teens deal with on the show are not very serious, which fits into the overall genre of the show, which is light comedy. The parents, while also not very bright, are in some ways reflective of many families because they do care about each other and want the best for their children, although sometimes they are too stupid to know that what they're doing is not really helping their family. Good comparison of your life and the life of a TV teen!

    ReplyDelete